WHO DOES THE HOUSEWORK? (1B1)
LISTEN TO THIS SONG. I´M SURE IT´S PRETTY FAMILIAR….. WHAT´S IST ABOUT?
Who does the housework at home?
The answer to “Who does the housework?” in Spain used to be obvious – the housewife. And the mother taught the daughters to cook and clean and sew, while the sons played with their toy cars. That was two generations ago, and there are women of 30 who still complain that as children, they were made to make their brothers’ beds before they went to school. Of course, things have changed a lot, particularly now that women usually go out to work as well as running their homes – although there are figures that show that on average, women spend 4.55 hours a day on domestic duties, and men just 1.37.
Given the trend towards greater equality, you might think that boys are now learning to do household tasks, or at least some of them, on a rough scale of 5.55:1.37, but apparently, equality has taken a different form among children. Nowadays, according to child psychologists and others writing on the website http://www.solohijos.com, parents think that the time they spend with their children should all be time spent having fun, playing and going out, and children are growing up thinking that they have no domestic obligations or responsibilities at all.
So neither boys nor girls are being taught to lay the table or pick up their toys, and in later life, says neuropsychologist María Luis Ferreros, “they” (the children) “feel confused because they have been living outside reality”.
HOW WOULD YOU DESCRIBE THESE PICTURES? THEN DISCUSS THE QUESTIONS BELOW
- What housework do you usually do? What have you done today?
- Who does the most housework in your family?
- Do you argue about housework in your family? Give examples
- What housework do you hate doing? What don’t you mind doing? Is there any housework you like doing?
- If you could buy one of these two things, would you choose a dishwasher or a washing machine?
- Do you get paid for doing housework?
- Who does more housework at home, the male or the female members of your family?