Monthly Archives: March 2017
THESE PEOPLE AND THEIR FAMOUS QUOTES WILL ALSO BE REMEMBERED BY FUTURE GENERATIONS.
HOW DO WE USE REPORTED SPEECH IN ENGLISH?
THIS IS ALL ABOUT REPORTING STATEMENTS BUT HOW DIFFERENT IT IS TO REPORT QUESTIONS AND / OR ORDERS AND COMMANDS?
Britain’s departure from the European Union is an “historic moment from which there can be no turning back”, Theresa May has told MPs.
THESE ARE SOME OF THE STATEMENTS MADE BY THERESA MAY TODAY.
“This is an historic moment from which there can be no turning back”
“Britain is leaving the European Union”
“We are going to make out own decisions and our own laws”
HOW CAN YOU REPORT THEM? “Theresa May told MPs……..”
HOW MUCH DO YOU REMEMBER OF “REPORTED SPEECH” IN ENGLISH?
YOU CAN REVIEW THE GRAMMAR ON REPORTING STATEMENTS, QUESTIONS, ORDERS AND REQUESTS ON PAGE 148
PROBLEM: “I CAN´T SLEEP AT NIGHT”
EXPRESSIONS TO GIVE ADVICE
SHOULD … I think you should…..drink less coffee
SHOULDN´T… you shouldn´t…. drink coffee
Why don’t you …? (drink less coffee?)
I think it´s a good idea to … (drink less coffee)
I think it isn´t a good idea to… // I don´t think it´s a good idea to…
IMPERATIVE FORMS Drink less coffee! // Don´t drink coffee!
What about… + -ING?
How about… +-ING?
You could ….
Have you tried…+ -ING?
If I was/ were you, I´d…
WHAT´S GOING ON IN THE CARTOON?
HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF AN “AGONY AUNT”? WHERE CAN YOU FIND THEM?
UNFORTUNATELY TODAY THE WORD “WESTMINSTER” IS ASSOCIATED TO THE TERRIBLE ATTACKS LAST WEEK…. WHAT HAPPENED? (TRY TO USE THE PASSIVE)
WESTMINSTER ABBEY IS VERY CLOSE TO THAT AREA. WHY IS IT FAMOUS? WHAT IS IT USED FOR? HAVE YOU EVER BEEN INSIDE?
LAST YEAR WE STUDIED THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN WRITING FORMAL AND INFORMAL EMAILS.
- HAVE A LOOK AT THIS USEFUL HANDOUT TO IMPROVE YOUR EMAILS.
- YOU CAN DOWNLOAD THE DOCUMENT ON USEFUL PHRASES FOR INFORMAL EMAILS & LETTERS BEFORE DOING YOUR HOMEWORK (SCROLL DOWN)
DO YOU KNOW THIS SONG?
WHEN DO YOU USE SHOULD? TO GIVE ADVICE.
|If I were in your place…|
This page lists useful phrases for the language function of giving advice and recommendations to other people.
- (I think/I really think) you should …
- How about …?
- What about…?
- It is usually a good idea to …
- My suggestion/advice is (to) …
- Why don’t you …?
- You could (try) … .
- Have you tried …?
- I (would) (strongly) suggest/advise that …
- If I was/were you, I’d …
- In my experience, … works really well.
- It’s generally best/a good idea to…
- One idea is to …
- One thing you could/should/have to do is …
- The best/most important thing (to do) is to …
DO YOU KNOW WHO SINGS THIS POPULAR SONG?
YOU DON´T HAVE TO BE RICH TO BE MY GIRL
YOU DON´T NEED TO BE COOL TO RULE MY WORLD…
SO, LET´S TALK ABOUT OBLIGATION AND ABSENCE OF OBLIGATION ….
WHAT MODAL VERBS DO YOU USE FOR ADVICE?
OBAMA´S ELECTION WAS SEEN BY MANY AS A HISTORIC MOMENT IN TIME AS HE WAS THE FIRST BLACK PRESIDENT ELECTED IN HISTORY. HOWEVER, UNEXPECTED TRUMP´S VICTORY WAS ONE OF THE MOST IMPROBABLE POLITICAL VICTORIES IN MODERN HISTORY, PLUNGING THE USA AND THE REST OF THE WORLD INTO AN UNCERTAIN FUTURE….
WHICH OTHER HISTORIC EVENTS IN YOUR LIFETIME DO YOU THINK WILL BE REMEMBERED BY FUTURE GENERATIONS? WHY?
- Where & when did that happen? What happened?
- How old were you? Where were you?
- What were you doing when you heard the news? Who were you with?
- How were you affected by the news? What did you do? How did you feel?
- Why do you think this event will be remembered by future generations?
POST YOUR PODCASTS AND YOUR PHOTOS.
THIS IS ONE EXAMPLE: