Author Archives: mcargobe
AS YOU KNOW I GAVE YOU A HANDOUT LAST WEDNESDAY WITH CONVERSATION GAMBITS TO USE WHEN ASKING FOR OR GIVING ADVICE. SO WHY DON´T YOU SHARE WITH US ONE OF YOUR PROBLEMS SO THAT WE´LL BE ABLE TO USE THEM IN CLASS TO GIVE ADVICE?
GO TO PADLET (BY CLICKING ON THE WALL BELOW)
- Click on the BOARD below,
- A box will pop-up,
- Please add your name.
- Start typing your contribution. (WRITE ABOUT A PROBLEM YOU HAVE: IT CAN BE IMAGINARY OR REAL)
- You can add an image or a link to a video or sound clip to accompany your PROBLEM.
LOOK AT THE PHOTOS. WHERE WERE THEY TAKEN?
DO YOU HAVE ANY PHOTOS OF YOURSELF IN FRONT OF A FAMOUS MONUMENT?
DO THE VOCABULARY BANK ON PHOTOGRAPHY (page 155)
MAKE SURE YOU BRING ONE OF THESE PHOTOS ON YOUR MOBILE FOR OUR NEXT CLASS ON MONDAY. (IT´S A SPEAKING TASK, NOT WRITTEN)
REMEMBER THAT YOU CAN USE THE POST I PUBLISHED IN OCTOBER ABOUT IT: DESCRIBING A PICTURE
FOR THOSE WHO DIDN´T SIGN UP FOR THE ORAL PRESENTATION THIS WEEK AND ARE STILL INTERESTED
WHY DON´T YOU RECORD YOURSELF ON VIDEO TOGETHER WITH YOUR PRESENTATION?
This tool allows you to upload your PowerPoint /Prezi or Google presentation and then record yourself doing the presentation and even include your webcam. Then anyone can access it on the internet and watch and listen to you presenting. Great for your students to get them practising their presentations and great for language teachers as you can get your students to make presentations and practise their language. Of course, it´s not the same as talking in front of an audience but it might be pretty similar….. you are video recorded looking at your computer screen…NOT READING….
THIS IS AN EXAMPLE MADE BY A TEACHER
THIS IS ME USING SCREEN-O-CAST:
WHY DON´T YOU HAVE A GO AT IT?
HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF THE “MOSQUITO TONE“?
WHAT´S IT ALL ABOUT? WATCH THIS VIDEO
LISTEN TO THIS SONG
HOW DO THEY PRONOUNCE “GOING TO”?
Many English learners pronounce each word clearly, to get the pronunciation perfect – but native English speakers don’t do this.
Natural spoken English contains reductions – sounds that change and disappear when spoken at normal speed. This sometimes makes spoken English hard for students to understand.
Doing English pronunciation practice with reductions will help you speak more naturally AND understand spoken English more easily.
Most native English speakers don’t pronounce “to” like the number “2.” Instead, we say it like this:
GOING TO –> “GONNA”
Remember that gonna is only used in speaking. We should never write gonna (with the possible exception of texting between friends).
- I’m gonna practice English every day. (Remind students that they will see it written as “I’m going to practice…” because gonna is only used in spoken English.)
- Are you gonna go out tonight?
- He’s gonna do his homework.
- She’s gonna buy a new dress.
- We’re gonna play our new video game.
- Are they gonna go to Disneyland next year?
What are you “gonna” do at Christmas ? on New Year’s Eve?
WOULD YOU LIKE TO FEEL LIKE A FAMOUS TV STAR?
This little tool is a cueprompter. My students need to give a speech and I find this little tool can help them a lot monitor the time it takes them to give their speech as it has adjustable speed features.
How to use it
♥Copy/paste the text into the prompter text window
♥You can set screen size, font size and colour
♥Start the prompter and adjust the speed
♥ Use the Space Bar to stop/start the cueprompter
IT´S AS IF YOU WERE WORKING ON TV AS A NEWSREADER!! BUT REMEMBER THAT THIS IS JUST FOR REHEARSING AT HOME: YOU CAN´T USE IT DURING YOUR ORAL PRESENTATION IN CLASS.
THIS POST IS FROM CRISTINA CABAL´S BLOG. THANKS FOR SHARING YOUR GREAT IDEAS!!
- HAVE A CAREFUL LOOK AT THE PICTURE & DISCUSS THE DIFFERENCES THEY CAN SEE & THE DIFFERENCES THEY CAN GUESS EXIST BETWEEN THE FAMILY SHOWN IN THE PHOTO AND THEIR OWN FAMILY. (TRY TO USE USED TO, WOULD, PAST SIMPLE….)
- WATCH THIS VIDEO ADVERT. IT´S CALLED “GRANDPA” AND IT TRIES TO SHOW THAT THE LIFESTYLE ENJOYED BY OUR GRANDPARENTS CAN BE BENEFICIAL.
- WATCH THE VIDEO TWICE & WRITE DOWN ANY DIFFERENCES THEY CAN SEE BETWEEN THE MAN TODAY AND HIS GRANDFATHER: healthy eating, stress,working conditions, means of transport, relationships, habits …….
(THANKS TO CRISTINA CABAL FOR THIS WONDERFUL IDEA)
Last year Heathrow airport joined the battle of the Christmas adverts with clip featuring two teddy bears returning home. A REAL TEARJERKER!!!!
This year they also used teddy bears….
- CAN YOU THINK OF COMMON ACTIONS PEOPLE DO AT THE AIRPORT?
i.e. “CATCH A PLANE”……..etc…etc…
- WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO NEXT CHRISTMAS? HAVE YOU GOT ANY PLANS?
Let’s face it, when you were younger you weren’t glued to your mobile or Ipad, addicted to 24-hour children’s TV channels or creating online social media profiles to have fun.
Of course you weren’t – you used to be outside, in the street, playing classic games that you’d love your children to play now.
CAN YOU REMEMBER ANY OF THOSE GAMES? WHICH GAMES WOULD YOU PLAY WHEN YOU WERE YOUNGER?
IF YOU HAPPEN TO FIND OUT OTHER UNUSUAL WORDS FOR STREET GAMES, PLEASE SHARE THIS INFORMATION WITH US!!