Category Archives: BITS & PIECES
- STUDY VERB PATTERNS PAGE 158
- HAVE A LOOK AT THIS SUMMARY
- AFTER SOME VERBS (page 158 PART 1)
“I need to practise more”
“I want to get married soon”, etc…
- AFTER ADJECTIVES
“This is difficult to remember”
- TO EXPRESS PURPOSE (finalidad)
“I study English to study abroad”
- AFTER QUESTION WORDS: WHO, WHAT, HOW…..
“I don´t know what to do”
- AFTER CERTAIN VERBS (page 158 PART 2)
“I hate ironing”
- AFTER PREPOSITIONS
“I very often dream of moving abroad”
- AS THE SUBJECT
“Speaking is the most difficult part of any foreign language”
INFINITIVE WITHOUT TO
- AFTER MODAL VERBS (WITH THE EXCEPTION OF “OUGHT TO”
“I could swim when I was 5”
“You must´t use your mobile phone in exams”
- AFTER “MAKE,”LET” & “”HELP”
“Peeling onions makes me cry”
“My mum does´t let me go out at night”
“Can you help me (to) do this exercise?”
- EXTRA PRACTICE
LAST WEEK WE TALKED AND LISTENED ABOUT WESTMINSTER ABBEY. WHAT FAMOUS BUILDINGS IN YOUR TOWN OR COUNTRY WOULD YOU LIKE TO WRITE ABOUT?
The Lonja (SILK EXCHANGE) is an emblematic building of the city and one of the most famous civil gothic monuments in Europe. It was declared a National Historic and Artistic Monument in July1 931 and was made a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in December 1996.
- WHERE IS IT? “The Lonja” is located in the centre of the city – in front of the Central Market and the Temple of Santos Juanes – and occupies a rectangular area of 1.990 square metres.
- WHEN WAS IT BUILT? At the end of the 13th century, as a result of the prosperity in Valencia at the time, the old Lonja became insufficient and it was decided to build a new Exchange. The first stone was laid in 1492, although the construction was started a year later. Pere Compte, a Valencian engineer and architect, was the principal figure involved in its construction.
- WHAT WAS IT USED FOR ORIGINALLY?It was used not only for trading with agricultural oils, but for all kind of business. Valencia’s commercial prosperity reached its peak during the 15th century, and led to the construction of a new building.During subsequent centuries, La Lonja functioned as a silk exchange. The honesty of its traders is honored by the inscription that runs around the main contract hall.
- WHAT IS IT USED FOR NOW? Today it is used to host the James I awards ceremony among many other things. It´s a public building and can also be visited by tourists and locals alike.
- WHAT DID YOU LEARN ABOUT IT WHEN YOU WERE THERE?There are three clearly defined sections and a garden or “orange patio”. The Columnario or Sala de Contratación is divided into three longitudinal and five transversal naves with eight columns that support the domed ceiling. Its height of 17.40 meters gives the columns a special sense of size and proportion. The Taula de Canvis, set up in 1407, was located in this room by the municipal council and gained great prestige for its solvency and banking operations. The Taula or Table used for the transactions, as well as the first Bill of Exchange written in Spain are kept in the Valencia Municipal archive. The Torreón is the second section of the building while on the ground floor there is a small chapel dedicated to the Immaculate Conception. The two upper floors were used as a prison for those who reneged on their debts.
- HOW LONG DID YOU SPEND THERE? About 90 minutes
- HOW MUCH DID YOU HAVE TO PAY TO VISIT IT? I did´t have to spend a penny . If you visit it on a Sunday, it´s free.
- WOULD YOU RECOMMEND VISITING IT? Of course. It´s worth a visit
WHY DON´T YOU WRITE A DESCRIPTION OF AN INTERESTING BUILDING IN YOUR TOWN OR COUNTRY TO BE PUBLISHED IN A TOURISM WEBSITE?
YOU CAN FOLLOW THE STEPS ON PAGE 81 OR THE ONES ON PAGE 119
UNFORTUNATELY TODAY THE WORD “WESTMINSTER” IS ASSOCIATED TO THE TERRIBLE ATTACKS LAST WEEK…. WHAT HAPPENED? (TRY TO USE THE PASSIVE)
WESTMINSTER ABBEY IS VERY CLOSE TO THAT AREA. WHY IS IT FAMOUS? WHAT IS IT USED FOR? HAVE YOU EVER BEEN INSIDE?
OBAMA´S ELECTION WAS SEEN BY MANY AS A HISTORIC MOMENT IN TIME AS HE WAS THE FIRST BLACK PRESIDENT ELECTED IN HISTORY. HOWEVER, UNEXPECTED TRUMP´S VICTORY WAS ONE OF THE MOST IMPROBABLE POLITICAL VICTORIES IN MODERN HISTORY, PLUNGING THE USA AND THE REST OF THE WORLD INTO AN UNCERTAIN FUTURE….
WHICH OTHER HISTORIC EVENTS IN YOUR LIFETIME DO YOU THINK WILL BE REMEMBERED BY FUTURE GENERATIONS? WHY?
- Where & when did that happen? What happened?
- How old were you? Where were you?
- What were you doing when you heard the news? Who were you with?
- How were you affected by the news? What did you do? How did you feel?
- Why do you think this event will be remembered by future generations?
POST YOUR PODCASTS AND YOUR PHOTOS.
THIS IS ONE EXAMPLE:
DO YOU KNOW WHAT SEEING SOMEBODY OFF MEANS?
If you want to understand the real sense of Fallas, you should know what these terms mean:
La Mascletà – Incredibly noisy fireworks let off during the daytime to make as much noise as possible. The Mascletà held each day at 14:00 in the town hall square is impossible to describe in words – you have to experience it for yourself!
El Ninot – A small part of a Fallas sculpture – typically a human figure of breathtaking detail and craftsmanship.
La plantà – The installation or ‘planting’ of the Fallas sculptures around the city.
La cremà – The last evening of the festival when the monuments are set on fire.
La Verbena – street parties, paella cook offs and live music arranged by Falleros from the community of Falleros; normally you need to be invited but there are so many around the streets of Valencia that people wouldn’t notice if you joined in.
La Nit de Foc – a spectacular fireworks display on the Paseo de la Alameda
NOW, IF YOU´RE IN THE MOOD TO READ ABOUT “LAS FALLAS” IN ENGLISH, THIS IS A VERY INTERESTING LINK:
WHY DON´T YOU RECORD THE TEXT YOU DID IN CLASS USING WEVIDEO AS AN INVITATION FOR TOURISTS TO THE FESTIVAL?
WOULD YOU LIKE TO CREATE A POSTER WITH POSTER MY WALL?
ARE YOU ONE OF THE MANY VALENCIANS GOING AWAY FOR “LAS FALLAS” OR DO YOU JOIN IN THE CELEBRATIONS?
HAPPY FALLAS TO EVERYONE ANYWAY!!
- …PAINTED A WALL OR A ROOM?
- …CHANGED A WHEEL ON A CAR / A TYRE ON A BIKE?
- …ASSEMBLED FLAT-PACK FURNITURE?
- …SET UP A HOME CINEMA SYSTEM / A WI-FI NETWORK?
- …FIXED SOMETHING IN YOUR HOME?
- When and where did you do it?
- Why did you have to do it?
- Did anyone help you?
- How long did it take?
- What problems did you have?
- How successful were you in the end? Did you manage to do it?
Joomag is a free, sophisticated and professional digital magazine creation tool that allows users (students and teachers) to create beautiful magazines from PDFs or templates provided by the site.
This is an example of a magazine created by a teacher:
Parents, students and unions call for a general strike in education for March 9th
The State Platform in the Defence of Public Schooling has set the date for numerous demonstrations across Spain from infancy to university.
A total stoppage of teaching, in protest that the Lomce continues unaltered and the need for wide agreement to be reached in Congress which cannot be ‘only political and ignoring the social’
This is Spain’s third teaching general strike with widespread participation since the PP came to power. All the unions (CEAPA, STES, CCOO, UGT, MRP, CGT and FAEST led from the front by the Students Front and Students Union) which coincide ‘these protests must be on the streets’ given it is the only way ‘which is effective’ in the defence of public schooling and warn the pact ‘is not an end in itself’. In fact, for Mar 9th Spanish streets will be awash with protestors.
Another reason why this strike has been called at all educational levels is the appeal by the Government in the Constitutional Court for the voting in Congress to halt the Lomce, a decision considered as ‘unacceptable’. They are on guard regarding the massive State deficit Spain has in Brussels, which in the worst case scenario see a cut in spending on education of as much as 1 billion €’
Their anger has been aggravated by the new Education, Culture and Sports minister, Íñigo Méndez de Vigo, who said last JAN any strike action was ‘senseless’ at the moment when talks are continuing on the new Political and Social Pact for Education and called for the State Platform for Public Schooling to cancel the stoppage and join the debate in the Sub-Commission in Congress.
‘At this time, this strike is senseless, I request those who are arranging it to think again. The current situation does not need any disruption, as it would not make any long-lasting effect’, he affirmed.