Category Archives: LISTENING COMPREHENSION
INSTEAD OF “FOMO” COVID 19 DEMANDS WE EMBRACE “JOMO”, ACCORDING TO THE WASHINGTON POST…BUT WHAT DO THESE ACRONYMS MEAN? WHAT DO THEY HAVE TO DO WITH TECHNOLOGY?
IF YOU WANT TO FIND OUT, WATCH THE VIDEO BELOW & DO THE LISTENING COMPREHENSION ACTIVITIES created by ESLbrains.com http://bit.ly/EmbraceJOMO
COMPLETE THE SENTENCES WITH THE CORRECT FORM OF THE WORDS IN BRACKETS
• Nowadays, it’s sometimes difficult to decide what things in life give us a real ………. . [PLEASED]
• He might seem a bit rude, but he has very good ………. . [INTEND]
• What are my ………. to the community I am a part of? [OBLIGE]
• Some people say that life is ………. and you can do anything you want. [LIMIT]
• Julius Caesar was the most ………. man in ancient Rome. [POWER]
• A life without limits is ………. and we shouldn’t strive for it. [MEANING]
• Oscar Wilde said he could resist everything except ………. . [TEMPT]
WATCH THE VIDEO AGAIN AND FIND OUT WHAT “FOMO” &“JOMO”MEAN.
THEN TRY TO ANSWER THE QUESTIONS BELOW
a) What are 2 factors that make us feel FOMO?
b) What should we do to experience JOMO?
c) What does ‘moderate life’ mean according to Aristotle?
d) What does it mean to be human according to the speaker?
e) How does the example of Nero show that limitless life is life of despair?
DOWNLOAD THE COMPLETE DOCUMENT: Do-you-feel-FOMO-SV
¨The world of work is being profoundly affected by the global virus pandemic. In addition to the threat to public health, the economic and social disruption threatens the long-term livelihoods and wellbeing of millions. Governments, workers and employers will play a crucial role in combating the outbreak, ensuring the safety of individuals and the sustainability of businesses and jobs.Its impact could cause millions of job losses….“No matter where in the world or in which sector, the crisis is having a dramatic impact on the world’s workforce” READ MORE…
- WHAT KIND OF WORKERS HAVE TO CARRY ON WORKING ON THE FRONTLINE (THE ESSENTIAL WORKFORCE)?
- WHICH SECTORS HAVE EXPERIENCED THE MOST DRASTIC EFFECTS OF THE DISEASE?
- ARE YOU OR ANYONE IN YOUR FAMILY WORKING FROM HOME( TELEWORKING or TELECOMMUTING?
- HOW IS THE CRISIS AFFECTING WORKERS?
- HOW HAVE YOU BEEN AFFECTED BY THE SITUATION?
- IS THIS HEALTH CRISIS GOING TO HAVE ANY LASTING EFFECT ON THE JOB MARKET? OR THE WAY WORK IS ORGANIZED?
BASED ON AN ORIGINAL IDEA BY https://natalialzam.wordpress.com/
IF YOU CLICK ON THE PHOTO ABOVE, YOU HAVE EXTRA DISCUSSIONS QUESTIONS TO TALK ABOUT WORK
WATCH A VIDEO ABOUT WORK IN GOOGLE´S OFFICES IN SILLICON VALLEY
YOU CAN TRY MANY OTHERS BEFORE EXAMS
YOU CAN RECORD A FLIPGRID https://flipgrid.com/1a5d58d3
WHAT´S A POLYGLOT?
WATCH THIS VIDEO ABOUT A HYPER-POLYGLOT AND COMPLETE EACH SENTENCE WITH ONE WORD WHICH
- Every language is an expression of how one______________ or culture thinks.
- “Polyglot” is a word that comes from two Greek _________: “poly” and “gloss”.
- The word “polyglot” refers to anybody who speaks _____ or_____ languages at a pretty high level.
- A “hyperpolygLot” takes ________ in knowing languages.
- You need a different skill range for __________ languages such as Latin or Greek.
- Tim is a beginner in languages such as __________ or _______________.
- Polyglots in the world are usually __________ than Tim, as a rule.
- According to one of his teachers, Tim is ___________ at learning a language.
- Tim believes that when you start learning a language one of the most important things to do is have a lot of __________ ____________.
- Watching TV shows or movies is helpful because it exposes you to the normal __________ of speech in a language and more __________ register than you get in a textbook.
- The ___________ has been crucial for learning languages.
- By learning a language you get a greater appreciation of society´s _____________ and its entire ____________.
- If you raise people with other languages, you open them up to ___________ _________ or ideas.
- As the world is increasingly ____________, you also give your kids more opportunities and connections for when they grow older.
- Nelson Mandela said “if you talk to a man in his second language, you´re talking to his __________ If you talk his mother tongue, you´re talking to his ___________.”
22 words: YOU NEED 14 CORRECT ANSWERS
IF YOU LIKE, YOU CAN WATCH THE VIDEO AGAIN WITH SUBTITLES ON, TO CHECK YOUR ANSWERS.
LISTENING & VOCABULARY
DUE TO THE CORONAVIRUS LOCKDOWN WE´VE BEEN HAVING VIRTUAL CLASSES OR ONLINE MEETINGS ON DIFFERENT PLATFORMS, SUCH AS 8X8 AND ZOOM.
AS YOU COULD SEE, MANY PROBLEMS MIGHT HAPPEN DURING THE SESSION BUT ARE YOU FAMILIAR WITH THIS FUNCTIONAL LANGUAGE?
WATCH THIS FUNNY VIDEO AND HAVE A LAUGH. IS THE SITUATION FAMILIAR?
LOOK AT THESE PHRASES AND SENTENCES.WHO DO YOU THINK IS MORE LIKELY TO USE THEM: THE HOST (TEACHER) OR THE PARTICIPANTS (STUDENTS)?
Can you hear me?
I have a sound issue.
Did you get the nine-digit passcode?
I¨m gonna assign you to a breakout room.
What platform are you on?
I´m gonna join in.
I had a hard time connecting
Adjust your output settings (mic and camera)
There´s a lot of interference. Can you mute your mics?
It´s your mic, I´m afraid.
Sounds like someone´s just joined.
We lost you.
Am I frozen?
There seems to be a bit of a lag.
I didn´t get that, I´m sorry.
Are you with us?
He´s cut out.
Please, join the main meeting room.
WATCH THE VIDEO AGAIN. THERE ARE 5 EXPRESSIONS THAT DON´T APPEAR IN THE FUNNY SKETCH. WHICH ONES?
DISCUSS THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS
- WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT ONLINE MEETINGS? ARE THEY EFFECTIVE?
- WHAT ASPECTS MIGHT BE ANNOYING ABOUT THEM? PROS AND CONS
- “ZOOM” HAS BEEN IN THE NEWS THIS WEEK. DO YOU KNOW WHY?
- WHAT WOULD YOU THINK IF WE HAD TO CHANGE TO A DIFFERENT PLATFORM LIKE “WEBEX”?
ONE WAY OF KEEPING UP YOUR ENGLISH IN TIMES OF CONFINEMENT IS BY LISTENING TO THE RADIO. I GOT TO KNOW ABOUT THIS STATION TALK RADIO EUROPE WHERE YOU CAN LISTEN LIVE, HAVE A 7-DAY CATCH UP, LISTEN TO PODCASTS ETC.. THERE ARE DOWNLOADABLE APPS FOR YOUR MOBILES AS WELL
SO IF YOU WANT TO KEEP YOUR MIND, AND YOUR “EARS” BUSY, HAVE A GO!!
- UNFORTUNATELY, THESE DAYS WE HAVE BEEN LISTENING TO A LOT OF MISINFORMATION ABOUT THE CORONAVIRUS TO SUCH AN EXTENT THAT IT MIGHT BE DIFFICULT TO DISTINGUISH BETWEEN FACTS OR MYTHS. MANY OF THESE MYTHS EMANATE FROM THE INTERNET, FOLK WISDOM OR WORD OF MOUTH.
- WATCH THE VIDEO BELOW AND TELL US WHAT ARE THE 8 POPULAR MISCONCEPTIONS IN THE FIELD OF SCIENCE THEY TALK ABOUT
- IF YOU´RE INTERESTED, YOU CAN ALSO TRY THIS VIDEO LISTENING COMPREHENSION ACTIVITY WITH “EDPUZZLE”: LIGHTNING: MYTH OR FACT? CLICK ON THE LINK BELOW TO DO THE ACTIVITY.
HAVE A LOOK AT THIS PHOTO
- WHERE WAS IT TAKEN?
- HAVE YOU EVER BEEN THERE?
- IS THERE ANYTHING STRANGE ABOUT IT?
- WHAT IS IT?
WHAT DO YOU THINK A MEGACITY IS?
DO THE READING ON PAGES 88 / 89 TO FIND OUT AND DO EXERCISE d
LISTENING COMPREHENSION OPTIONAL)
- GO TO edpuzzle and REGISTER AS A STUDENT /with your computer or mobile app)
- JIOIN THE CLASSROOM BY ENTERING THE CLASS CODE ricamez OR USING THIS LINK: https://edpuzzle.com/join/ricamez
- HAVE A LOOK AT THE ASSIGNMENT & DO THE ACTIVITY
WATCH THE VIDEO WITH SUBTITLES IN ENGLISH TO CHECK THE OPEN-ENDED QUESTIONS
I AM PRETTY SURE YOU´RE FAMILIAR WITH THIS KIND OF CAMPAIGNS BUT MAKE A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN INFORMATION CAMPAIGNS (LAUNCHED BY OFFICIAL AGENCIES) AND ADVERTISING CAMPAIGNS . WHAT´S THE DIFFERENCE? HAVE A LOOK AT THE ONES BELOW
“Having a good product is not as important as having an eye-catching logo and a memorable slogan or catchy jingle”
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
DISCUSS THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS
- What is your favourite advert at the moment? Why do you like it so much?
- Have you ever bought anything just because you saw it advertised on TV?
- What famous advertising slogans can you remember? Why are they so memorable?
- What is the aim of most adverts these days – to persuade you to buy the product, to inform you about a new product or to remind you about a well-known product? Give examples.
- Do you think there are too many advertisements on TV? How many do you think there should be? Which adverts annoy you the most and why?
- What influences you the most when you are shopping: the price of a product, its appearance or the advertising promoting it?
- How much do you think children are influenced by adverts they see on television
- Do you ever find that the adverts are better than the programmes?
FUNNY TV COMMERCIALS, JUST FOR A LAUGH!
YOU CAN TRY THR LISTENING COMPREHENSION TASK ON PAGE 85 ABOUT THE TRICKS USED BY ADVERTISERS OR TRY THE ONE BELOW, WHICH IS MUCH MORE CHALLENGING
Imagen de Markus Distelrath en Pixabay
IF YOU´D LIKE TO WORK ON THE SUBJECT AND ARE NOT FED UP WITH IT, HERE YOU HAVE SOME ACTIVITIES AT DIFFERENT LEVELS
The Reading is from Linguahouse.com and you can download the listening from this website: