Category Archives: ORAL SKILLS
THIS BRITISH TV MINISERIES HAS JUST BEEN RELEASED ON NETFLIX, BUT YOU CAN ALSO WATCH IT ON ORORO TV FOR FREE WITH SUBTITLES.
IT FOLLOWS THE STORY OF A DIVORCED MOTHER, LOUISE, WHO´S LIVING HER QUITE LIFE -SAVE FOR HER NIGHT TERRORS- WITH HER SON. SHE RUNS INTO DAVID, HER NEW BOSS, AT A BAR AND STARTS AN AFFAIR WITH HIM. LOUISE´S LIFE TURNS UPSIDE DOWN WHEN DAVID´S WIFE, ADELE, ENTERS THE PICTURE…..BUT WHAT KIND OF NIGHT TERRORS IS LOUISE SUFFERING? REMEMBER THAT UNIT 6A IS ABOUT SLEEP AND SLEEPING PROBLEMS.
WATCH EPISODE 1. FROM 37.01 TO 39.40 & TRY TO DESCRIBE HER NIGHT TERRORS.
SHE ALSO TALKS ABOUT THEM IN EPISODE 2 FROM 30.02 TO 32.02
HOW DO YOU SLEEP? HAVE YOU EVER SUFFERED FROM NIGHT TERRORS OR NIGHTMARES? DO YOU TALK IN YOUR SLEEP? DO YOU TOSS AND TURN AT NIGHT? OR DO YOU SLEEP LIKE A LOG? HAVE YOU EVER SLEEPWALKED?
The sleep set is literally the foundation of your sleep. But beyond your investment in the mattress, it’s important to make an overall commitment to sleep. Here are some tips for maintaining a healthy sleep cycle and ensuring the best night’s rest:
- Maintain a regular bed and wake time schedule, including weekends.
- Establish a relaxing bedtime routine, such as soaking in a hot bath or hot tub and then reading a book or listening to soothing music.
- Create a sleep-conducive environment that is dark, quiet, comfortable and cool.
- Sleep on a comfortable mattress and pillow.
- Use your bedroom only for sleep and sex. It is best to take work materials, computers and televisions out of the sleeping environment.
- Finish eating at least two to three hours before your regular bedtime.
- Exercise regularly. It is ideal to complete your workout at least a few hours before bedtime.
- Avoid alcohol, nicotine (e.g., cigarettes, tobacco products), and caffeine (e.g., coffee, tea, soft drinks, chocolate) close to bedtime. These can lead to poor sleep, keep you awake or disrupt sleep later in the night.
CAN YOU THINK OF ANY OTHER USEFUL PIECE OF ADVICE?
Visit www.sleepfoundation.org for more information.
HOW MANY RISK SPORTS CAN YOU NAME?
A FAMOUS SPANISH MOUNTAIN CLIMBER DIED RECENTLY AFTER SUFFERING A FALL. HOW MUCH HAVE YOU HEARD ABOUT IT?
WHY ARE DEADLY EXTREME SPORTS MORE POPULAR THAN EVER?
HAVE YOU EVER DONE AN EXTREME SPORT? DID YOU ENJOY IT? WHY (NOT)?
WHICH EXTREME SPORT WOULD YOU MOST/ LEAST LIKE TO TAKE UP?
- THE ACTIVITIES DEPICTED IN THE PICTURES INVOLVE TAKING RISKS. WHAT KIND?
- WHAT’S THE MOST DANGEROUS ACTIVITY YOU’VE EVER DONE?
- ARE YOU A RISK TAKER?
- THINK OF A TIME WHEN YOU TOOK A RISK. WHAT TYPE OF RISK WAS IT -SOCIAL, FINANCIAL, CAREER OR ANOTHER TYPE? WHY DID YOU TAKE THE RISK?
IT MIGHT BE A GOOD IDEA TO TRY THIS PODCAST AT HOME TO IMPROVE YOUR LISTENING SKILLS (6 minutes English from the BBC)
“IF MY DAD FINDS OUT I’VE BEEN HITCHHIKING, HE‘LL BE FURIOUS”
REMEMBER TO REVIEW CONDITIONALS & FUTURE TIME CLAUSES ON PAGE 211 ….
LISTEN TO THIS SONG. I´M SURE IT´S PRETTY FAMILIAR….. WHAT´S IST ABOUT?
Who does the housework at home? REMEMBER TO STUDY THE VOCABULARY on page 240
WATCH THIS VIDEO
HOW WOULD YOU DESCRIBE THESE PICTURES? THEN DISCUSS THE QUESTIONS BELOW
- What housework do you usually do? What have you done today?
- Who does the most housework in your family?
- Do you argue about housework in your family? Give examples
- What housework do you hate doing? What don’t you mind doing? Is there any housework you like doing?
- If you could buy one of these two things, would you choose a dishwasher or a washing machine?
- Do you get paid for doing housework?
- Who does more housework at home, the male or the female members of your family?
HERE YOU HAVE AN EXAMPLE OF A LONG MONOLOGUE ABOUT THE ENVIRONMENT AND CLIMATE CHANGE. I HOPE IT CAN HELP YOU
LISTEN TO LYNNE TELLING AN ANECDOTE ABOUT AN EVENTFUL FLIGHT (5:09-14:40)
“I HAD BEEN TRAVELLING FOUR DAYS IN A CANOE…”
“I HADN´T REALLY WASHED…”
“WE GOT ON THE PLANE AND WE SAT DOWN AND I WAS TRYING NOT TO MAKE A MESS”
“I WAS STARTING TO EAT MY SALAD AND SUDDENLY THE LADY SHOUTED“
YOU CAN TRY THESE EXERCISES
WATCH THHESE TWO VIDEOS TO SEE WAYS NATIVE SPEAKERS ADD EMPHASIS TO WHAT THEY SAY WHEN THEY FEEL STRONG ABOUT SOMETHING.
Can’t decide? Wheel Decide for you! Set your own custom choices and then spin the wheel to make the random decision (lunch, movie, anything!)
- IN ORDER TO MAKE THE MOST OF YOUR SPEAKING TIME / PRACTICE YOU MIGHT PREPARE IT AT HOME IN ADVANCE WITH THE HELP OF THE WORKSHEETS BELOW: LANGUAGE & FINALLY THE TASK (SPEAKING TASK) THAT WE´LL DO TOGETHER IN A VIDEO CALL
- TAKE AS MUCH TIME AS YOU NEED TO READ CAREFULLY THROUGH ALL THE SECTIONS UNDERSTANDING THE EXAMPLES AND LOOKING UP THE WORDS YOU DO NOT KNOW
- YOU COULD REFLECT ON HOW YOU COULD USE THE CONTENTS PRESENTED IN A CONVERSATION WITH ONE OR MORE PEOPLE ABOUT THE TOPIC
IF YOU NEED TO DOWNLOAD THE PDF DOCUMENT TECHNOLOGY B2