Category Archives: SPEAKING
- IN ORDER TO MAKE THE MOST OF YOUR SPEAKING TIME / PRACTICE YOU MIGHT PREPARE IT AT HOME IN ADVANCE WITH THE HELP OF THE WORKSHEETS BELOW: LANGUAGE & FINALLY THE TASK (SPEAKING TASK) THAT WE´LL DO TOGETHER IN A VIDEO CALL
- TAKE AS MUCH TIME AS YOU NEED TO READ CAREFULLY THROUGH ALL THE SECTIONS UNDERSTANDING THE EXAMPLES AND LOOKING UP THE WORDS YOU DO NOT KNOW
- YOU COULD REFLECT ON HOW YOU COULD USE THE CONTENTS PRESENTED IN A CONVERSATION WITH ONE OR MORE PEOPLE ABOUT THE TOPIC
IF YOU NEED TO DOWNLOAD THE PDF DOCUMENT TECHNOLOGY B2
HAVE A CLOSE LOOK AT THIS PHOTO .
- WHERE IS M?
- WHAT DOES HE LOOK LIKE?
- WHAT IS HE WEARING?
- WHAT IS HE CARRYING?
- WHY DOESN´T HE LOOK HAPPY?
IF YOU´RE INTERESTED, CLICK ON THE LINK BELOW AND WATCH THE VIDEO
- WAS THE SHOP ASSISTANT HELPFUL? WHY? WHY NOT?
- THINK OF SOME SHOPS YOU GO TO FREQUENTLY. ARE THE SHOP ASSISTANTS HELPFUL OR UNHELPFUL? IN WHAT WAY?
<a href=”https://www.freepik.es/fotos-vectores-gratis/fondo”>Vector de Fondo creado por freepik – http://www.freepik.es</a>
On 23 April, World Book Day is celebrated all over the world, as on this date, in 1616, when both Don Quijote´s author Miguel de Cervantes and British poet and playwright William Shakespeare died.
In Spain, this is a day to encourage reading and the enjoyment of literature in a different way. It is also a day on which the great universal writer Miguel de Cervantes is particularly remembered with the presentation of the prize which bears his name, the most important distinction in Spanish letters.
For writers, publishers and the reading public, 23 April is a red letter day on the calendar. The celebration of World Book Day is the perfect opportunity to meet your favourite author, give the gift of literature or buy that novel that you’ve always wanted at an attractive discount. What’s more, librarians, museums and other cultural institutions usually organise special activities to mark the occasion (roundtables, book signings, lectures, guided visits, children’s workshops, storytellers, concerts, public readings, etc…) An invitation to experience the world of letters in a different way.
The festivity of Sant Jordi In Catalonia coincides. According to tradition, on this day it is customary to give the gift of a book to men and a rose to women. Thus cities like Barcelona become transformed into an enormous open-air bookshop-florist’s, full of stalls with authors signing copies of their work.Cervantes and ‘Don Quixote’
“Now, though, with Spain in lockdown due to the Covid-19 outbreak, the entire country’s entire festival calendar has been shifted – and Sant Jordi will be celebrated on July 23 instead.
Cancelling it altogether would not only cause massive disappointment, but also put paid to a large slice of florists’ and book shops’ annual income, since they make several months’ worth of profits on that one day.
‘Social distancing’ will still largely be in force by mid-July, even though quarantine is expected to be over, but book sellers and florists have guaranteed they will take steps to protect the public’s safety.
And, in practice, Catalunya could end up having two Saint George’s Days – florists and book shops are encouraging people to celebrate their regional patron indoors, by ordering flowers and reading material online for April 23.
About 100 florists, mostly small, family-run shops or one-person outfits, have opted not to sell flowers online next Thursday as they are concerned they will not be able to avoid the risk of Covid-19 contagion.
But even though this spring is likely to be hard on florists, it could be that they actually end up having a bumper year – whilst it is estimated that, even if some opt to sell flowers online, they will not shift even a quarter as many as they usually do on April 23, it is likely that those who had been looking forward to the usual street fair will plunge into the July one with renewed enthusiasm.”
TRY ANY OF THESE OPTIONAL ACTIVITIES FOR B1 OR B2 STUDENTS
B1: BOOKTUBER OR FLIPGRIDTUBER
B2: CELEBRATING BOOK DAY 2020 FROM HOME
ALL LEVELS (higher levels best)
TRY TO ANSWER ANY OF THESE QUESTIONS ON THE VOICETHREAD BELOW
- HOW DO YOU THINK THE SPANISH LOCKDOWN WILL AFFECT BOOK SALES THIS YEAR ON WORLD BOOK DAY?
- HAVE YOU READ ANY INTERESTING BOOK DURING YOUR CONFINEMENT THAT YOU´D RECOMMEND ANY OF YOUR CLASSMATES TO BUY TODAY OR TO READ? IF SO, WHICH ONE IS IT?
CLICK on the picture above or the link below and leave a voice (microphone) or a video (camera) message answering one of the questions:
Just click on the “+” symbol and record your message
EVERYBODY GETS NERVOUS WHEN THEY HAVE TO TALK IN PUBLIC (BUTTERFLIES IN YOUR STOMACH, TREMBLING VOICE, SWEATY PALMS ETC…) SPECIALLY IN A FOREIGN LANGUAGE. THAT´S WHY I´D LIKE YOU TO WATCH THIS VIDEO WHERE THEY TRY TO GIVE YOU SOME USEFUL TIPS ON HOW TO DO IT IN ENGLISH CALMLY AND WITH CONFIDENCE
MOST PRESENTATIONS ARE DIVIDED INTO THESE PARTS:
- WELCOME YOUR AUDIENCE : ” Good morning, everybody…”
- INTRODUCE THE TOPIC: ” Today, I´m going to talk about…”
- OUTLINE THE STRUCTURE: “To start with, I´ll start by…”
- QUESTIONS: “Do feel free to ask my any questions at any time”….
- HOW TO ORGANIZE YOUR INTRODUCTION
- HOW TO ORGANIZE THE BODY
- WHAT TO INCLUDE IN YOUR CONCLUSION
- USEFUL LANGUAGE FOR PRESENTATIONS: Signpost language (BBC LEARNING ENGLISH) https://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/business/talkingbusiness/unit3presentations/expert.shtml
‘Signpost language’ is the words and phrases that people use to tell the listener
what has just happened and what is going to happen next.
HAVE A LOOK AT THE PICTURE BELOW.
“AN Italian company believes it has come up with a way to ensure its country’s beaches can open for the summer season.
Nuova Neon Group is developing several products which can be installed and used in the tourism sector to bring a new level of safety in the age of COVID-19.
Among them are transparent Plexiglas cubicles which can be installed around sunbeds and parasols on the beaches…..
If approved, the cubicles would be used alongside other strict measures, including the use of face masks, social distancing and sanitising gels…..”
DO YOU THINK SOCIAL DISTANCING WILL BE LIKELY TO HAPPEN ON THE BEACH NEXT SUMMER?
CLICK on the picture above or the link below and leave a voice (microphone) or a video (camera) message having your say about the question.
THESE QUESTIONS ARE QUITE COMMON WHEN YOU WANT TO GET INFORMATION ABOUT A FILM.
THERE WAS A MISTAKE IN THE DOCUMENT I POSTED BEFORE. NOW IT´S OK.
LET´S COMPARE USING COMPARATIVES….
AND HOW WOULD YOU COMPARE THESE TWO DIFFERENT CARS?
HEATHROW AIRPORT USUALLY LAUNCHES GREAT ADVERTS FOR XMAS, HOWVER THE ONE THIS YEAR HASN´T BEEN RELEASED, YET. WATCH THE ONES BELOW AND SEE HOW MANY USUAL ACTIONS DONE AT AIRPORTS YOU CAN NAME
REMEMBER YOU HAVE THE AIR TRAVEL VOCABULARY BANK ON PAGE 154
EXTRA VOCABULARY: PHRASAL VERBS RELATED TO TRAVELLING (ENGLISH TODAY MAGAZINE)
- HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT FLYING?
- HOW OFTEN DO YOU FLY? WHAT FOR?
- WHEN WAS THE LAST FLIGHT YOU TOOK A PLANE? WHERE DID YOU FLY TO?
- SHOULD YOU FLY, DRIVE OR TAKE THE TRAIN IF YOU CARE ABOUT CLIMATE CHANGE?
- READ THE TITLE OF THE TOPIC & THE SUGGESTIONS
- CHOOSE 3 IDEAS TO INCLUDE IN YOUR MONOLOGUE. YOU CAN ADD IDEAS OF YOUR OWN
- TALK ABOUT THE TOPIC FOR 3 TO 3.30 MINUTES
· Your diet: balanced?
· Young people´s eating habits
· Eating out
· The strangest thing you´ve ever eaten
· Would you ever consider to become a vegetarian or a vegan?