Category Archives: WORDS, DON´T COME EASY! (VOCABULARY)
THIS IS AN OPTIONAL ACTIVITY I DEVISED LAST YEAR FOR YOU TO TRY AT ANY TIME…..THIS MORNING WE´VE BEEN PLAYING “KAHOOT” WITH PHRASAL VERBS. DO YOU REMEMBER THE LAST QUESTION?
CAN YOU RECOGNISE THE MAN IN THE PICTURE? AS WE HAVE ALSO BEEN TALKING ABOUT “LIVE ENTERTAINMENT” ……WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT THIS MAN?
HE´S A BRITISH CHART-TOPPING STAR CALLED ED SHEERAN. HE PERFORMED IN MADRID AND BARCELONA LAST YEAR AS PART OF A TOUR AROUND EUROPE. ALL THE TICKETS HAD BEEN SOLD OUT.
HIS LATEST HIT THEN WAS CALLED “SHAPE OF YOU” AND IT REMINDED ME OF THE “BIKINI” CHALLENGE, THAT IS TO SAY, THE TIME WHEN YOU WANT TO GET IN SHAPE BEFORE THE SUMMER BATHING SUIT SEASON STARTS…. MANY PEOPLE GET OBSESSED WITH LOSING WEIGHT, START GOING TO THE GYM AND GO ON DIETS BECAUSE SUMMER IS ALMOST THERE AND THEY WANT TO LOOK GOOD IN THEIR BIKINIS.
WATCH THE VIDEO, WHICH STARTS IN A GYM… WHAT DO YOU THINK THE STORY IS ABOUT?
WATCH IT AGAIN. What equipment or exercises to keep fit can you spot?
- (USE) AN EXERCISE BIKE
- (GO ON) A RUNNING MACHINE (TREADMILL)
- (DO) (LIFT) WEIGHTS
- (PUNCH) HEAVY BAGS)
- (JUMP) THE ROPE
- (USE) A CROSS-TRAINER
- (USE) A YOGA MAT
- (USE) BOXING GLOVES
- (WEAR) HAND WRAPS
- DO SIT-UPS
- DO PRESS-UPS = (PUSH-UPS)
- DO PULL-UPS
- DO AEROBICS
- DO SPINNING
- DO PILATES (OR YOGA)
IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO IMPROVE YOUR VOCABULARY ON “KEEPING FIT” (book page 163). YOU COULD ALSO WATCH THE VIDEO BELOW (EXERCISING AT THE GYM)
YOU CAN ALSO TRY THE ACTIVITIES ON MULTIMEDIA-ENGLISH:
ED SHEERAN´S PERFORMANCES IN SPAIN WERE SOLD OUT MONTHS AGO
SELL OUT= ALL BE SOLD : THIS IS A PHRASAL VERB
IN YOUR BOOK THERE´S A REVISION OF PHRASAL VERBS (page 144) THAT WE DID THIS MORNING
WHICH TYPE IS “SELL OUT”? TYPE 1, TYPE 2 OR TYPE 3? WHY?
WOULD YOU LIKE TO DO THE ACTIVITY ON LYRICS TRAINING JUST FOR FUN?
I HOPE YOU ENJOY THE ACTIVITY
AS YOU CAN REMEMBER WE PLAYED KAHOOT AT THE END OF UNIT 1. WE CAN PRACTISE WITH A TEST ON PHRASAL VERB AT THE END OF THE SCHOOL YEAR, TOO.
DO YOU REMEMBER HOW TO PLAY?
This is how I SUGGEST you work on the quiz:
- Do the quiz KAHOOT (PHRASAL VERBS END-OF-YEAR ACTIVITY)
- Once you have finished doing it, try to remember which phrasal verbs were tested and write them down on a piece of paper together with their meaning.
- Do the quiz once again and compare your written answers with the ones given in the quiz.
- Write down the ones you didn’t know. Look them up in a good dictionary and read the example sentences to see how they are used in context.
- Try the quiz again some other day to consolidate knowledge.
I DO HOPE YOU ENJOY IT!
LOOK CAREFULLY AT THE PICTURES BELOW…
WHAT CAN YOU SAY ABOUT THEM?
- WHAT ARE THE ADVANTAGES AND DISADVANTAGES OF SEEING A MUSICAL, A CONCERT, A PLAY OR A SPORTING EVENT LIVE INSTEAD OF ON TV?
- WHAT WAS THE LAST LIVE EVENT YOU WENT TO?
“FIND YOUR FEET” (TRANSLATED INTO SPANISH LIKE “BAILANDO LA VIDA” ) IS A NEW BRITISH COMEDY RELEASE FOR THIS WEEKEND TRYING TO SHOW THAT THERE IS LIFE AFTER RETIREMENT…..
THIS SONG IS REALLY UNFORGETTABLE…..
CAN YOU THINK ABOUT AN UNFORGETTABLE MOMENT IN YOUR LIFE?
SPEAKING ABOUT MEMORY….WHY NOT REVIEWING SOME IDIOMS RELATED TO MEMORY?
AN UNFORGETTABLE EVENING
HOW MANY ANIMALS CAN YOU NAME IN ENGLISH? (have look at page 161 in your book)
THIS VIDEO IS VERY GOOD BUT MAYBE IT´S TOO MUCH FOR YOU…. JUST CHECK THE NAMES OF THE ANIMALS ON PAGE 1161. THIS IS ENOUGH!!
- Mums-to-be could be in for a big discount at IKEA- but they have to pee on an ad first to reveal the promotional code
- The Swedish furniture giant has launched a new offer in its latest advert to attract soon-to-be parents.
- All mums need to do to unlock the code to get a discount code for a new crib is pee on it.
- WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THE ADVERT?
- HAVE YOU EVER BEEN TO IKEA?
- DID YOU BUY ANYTHING THERE? WHAT?
- WHAT WAS YOUR EXPERIENCE LIKE?
TRY THE VOCABULARY FOR DIY AND REPAIRS (PAGE 160)
PARAPHRASING : DESCRIBING EVERYDAY OBJECTS
Saying you don’t know/ remember the name of something
- I’m sorry, I’ve forgotten what it’s called
- It´s on the tip of my tongue
- I totally blanked
- I´m really sorry but my mind went blank
- I don’t know what it’s called in English
- I can’t remember what they’re called
- I’m sorry, I don’t know the word for them
Describing what something is used for
- It’s a thing for makING…
- It’s stuff for doING…
- You use them to DO / for DOing something
- You use it when you do something
Describing what something looks like
- It’s a type of [liquid]
- It’s some/a kind/ sort of… [material/substance…]
- They are made of [metal/plastic/glass/…]
- They’ve got…[a hole in the end/…)
- They look like… [headphones/…]
Checking something is the right thing
- Is this what you are looking for?
- Do you mean… [a blender/…]?
- Oh, you mean… [stain remover/…]
THE PHOTOS ABOVE WERE IN THE NEWS AND IN MANY GLOSSY MAGAZINES IN THE UK AND WORLDWIDE LAST YEAR. BUT DO YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENED?
THIS MUSIC BELONGS TO THE SOUNDTRACK OF A VERY POPULAR FILM.
BRAINSTORM VOCABULARY FOR WEDDINGS AND FUNERALS
YOU COULD DO SOME VOCABULARY WORK ON WEDDINGS ON PAGE 90 (exercise 4)