- STUDY VERB PATTERNS VERB PATTERNS (PÁG 145) + LIST (page164) & GO OVER YOUR HOMEWORK WITH THE KEY
- DO EXTRA PRACTICE & GET READY FOR THE EXAM
- YOU CAN ALSO TEST YOURSELF WITH THE WHEEL OF VERB PATTERNS BY CLICKING ON THE PICTURE BELOW
YOU CAN ALSO TRY WITH MUSIC AND SONGS:
THIS SONG IS REALLY UNFORGETTABLE…..
CAN YOU THINK ABOUT AN UNFORGETTABLE MOMENT IN YOUR LIFE?
SPEAKING ABOUT MEMORY….WHY NOT REVIEWING SOME IDIOMS RELATED TO MEMORY?
AN UNFORGETTABLE EVENING
THESE PEOPLE AND THEIR FAMOUS QUOTES WILL ALSO BE REMEMBERED BY FUTURE GENERATIONS.
HOW DO WE USE REPORTED SPEECH IN ENGLISH?
THIS IS ALL ABOUT REPORTING STATEMENTS BUT HOW DIFFERENT IT IS TO REPORT QUESTIONS AND / OR ORDERS AND COMMANDS?
“Imagine if all the data used by the Sorting Hat — every photo you loved, every opinion you agreed with, every famous person’s quote you didn’t like — could be bought, sold, and even stolen. If someone got their hands on that information, they’d know a lot about you. And they’d know a lot about your friends, too. Online personality quizzes work their magic in much the same way. If you’ve ever downloaded a personality quiz through Facebook, you may be one of the thousands of people who unwittingly supplied information about yourself and your friends for use in highly targeted psychological profiles exploited in the 2016 presidential campaign…”
MARK ZUCKERBERG, FOUNDER, CHAIRMAN AND CHIEF EXECUTIVE OF “FACEBOOK” TESTIFIED BEFORE THE AMERICAN CONGRESS LAST WEDNESDAY OVER THE “CAMBRIDGE ANALYTICA” SCANDAL.
HE ANSWERED QUESTIONS FROM MORE THAN 40 DIFFERENT SENATORS…QUESTIONS LIKE SENATOR NELSON ´S:
“How can American consumers trust folks like your company?”
ZUCKERBERG, HOWEVER, MADE DIFFERENT STATEMENTS ON THE MATTER:
- “This is a complex issue that deserves more than a one-word answer,” Zuckerberg said.
- “We face a number of important issues around privacy, safety and democracy”
- “You will have some hard questions for me to answer”
THESE ARE QUOTES FROM THE HEARING (DIRECT SPEECH), BUT WHAT DID ZUCKERBERG SAY LAST WEDNESDAY?
He said that…….. (INDIRECT OR REPORTED SPEECH)
HOW MANY CHANGES WOULD YOU NEED TO MAKE TO THE SENTENCES ABOVE TO REPORT HIS WORDS?
- AFTER SOME VERBS (page 158 PART 1)
“I need to practise more”
“I want to get married soon”, etc…
- AFTER ADJECTIVES
“This is difficult to remember”
- TO EXPRESS PURPOSE (finalidad)
“I study English to study abroad”
- AFTER QUESTION WORDS: WHO, WHAT, HOW…..
“I don´t know what to do”
- AFTER CERTAIN VERBS (page 158 PART 2)
“I hate ironing”
- AFTER PREPOSITIONS
“I very often dream of moving abroad”
- AS THE SUBJECT
“Speaking is the most difficult part of any foreign language”
INFINITIVE WITHOUT TO
- AFTER MODAL VERBS (WITH THE EXCEPTION OF “OUGHT TO”
“I could swim when I was 5”
“You mustn’t use your mobile phone in exams”
- AFTER “MAKE,”LET” & “”HELP”
“Peeling onions makes me cry”
“My mum does´t let me go out at night”
“Can you help me (to) do this exercise?”
YOU CAN TRY THE BASIC + INTERMEDIATE EXERCISES
WE´VE BEEN TALKING ABOUT HISTORIC MOMENTS IN TIME…Britain’s departure from the European Union is an “historic moment from which there can be no turning back”, Theresa May told MPs.
THESE ARE SOME OF THE STATEMENTS MADE BY THERESA LAST YEAR.
“This is an historic moment from which there can be no turning back”
“Britain is leaving the European Union”
“We are going to make out own decisions and our own laws”
HOW CAN YOU REPORT THEM? “Theresa May told MPs……..”
HOW MUCH DO YOU REMEMBER OF “REPORTED SPEECH” IN ENGLISH?
YOU CAN REVIEW THE GRAMMAR ON REPORTING STATEMENTS, QUESTIONS, ORDERS AND REQUESTS ON PAGE 148
THE WORLD WAKES UP THIS MORNING ON HIGH ALERT WITH ALL THE TENSIONS BETWEEN THE USA AND RUSSIA OVER SYRIA BOILING OVER…
The US, UK and France have launched strikes “on targets associated with the chemical weapons capabilities” in Syria, US President Donald Trump announced early on Saturday. The strikes come after a suspected chemical weapons attack in the former rebel stronghold of Douma last weekend.
Here are all the latest REACTIONS to the strikes:
The Russian embassy in the U.S. wasted no time in reacting to the strikes late Friday in the U.S., with Ambassador Anatoly Antonov saying on Twitter, “The worst apprehensions have come true. Our warnings have been left unheard.”
“A pre-designed scenario is being implemented,” the statement continued. “Again, we are being threatened. We warned that such actions will not be left without consequences.”
Adding North Korea’s nuclear ambitions into the mix, an all-out war could be on the cards – some people even dare to think about World War 3 breaking out.
AS WE´VE BEEN TALKING ABOUT HISTORIC MOMENTS IN OUR LIFETIMES, I EXPECT THIS IS NOT ONE WE´LL HAVE TO LIVE AND REMEMBER…I DO HOPE THAT SOMEONE COULD MAKE THE MOST POWERFUL POLITICIANS IN THE WORLD SEE SENSE AND STOP ANY KIND OF WAR, EVER
UNFORTUNATELY TODAY THE WORD “WESTMINSTER” IS ASSOCIATED TO THE TERRIBLE ATTACKS LAST WEEK…. WHAT HAPPENED? (TRY TO USE THE PASSIVE)
WESTMINSTER ABBEY IS VERY CLOSE TO THAT AREA. WHY IS IT FAMOUS? WHAT IS IT USED FOR? HAVE YOU EVER BEEN INSIDE?
NEXT WEEK WE´LL TALK AND LISTEN ABOUT WESTMINSTER ABBEY. WHAT FAMOUS BUILDINGS IN YOUR TOWN OR COUNTRY WOULD YOU LIKE TO WRITE ABOUT?
The Lonja (SILK EXCHANGE) is an emblematic building of the city and one of the most famous civil gothic monuments in Europe. It was declared a National Historic and Artistic Monument in July1 931 and was made a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in December 1996.
- WHERE IS IT? “The Lonja” is located in the centre of the city – in front of the Central Market and the Temple of Santos Juanes – and occupies a rectangular area of 1.990 square metres.
- WHEN WAS IT BUILT? At the end of the 13th century, as a result of the prosperity in Valencia at the time, the old Lonja became insufficient and it was decided to build a new Exchange. The first stone was laid in 1492, although the construction was started a year later. Pere Compte, a Valencian engineer and architect, was the principal figure involved in its construction.
- WHAT WAS IT USED FOR ORIGINALLY?It was used not only for trading with agricultural oils, but for all kind of business. Valencia’s commercial prosperity reached its peak during the 15th century, and led to the construction of a new building.During subsequent centuries, La Lonja functioned as a silk exchange. The honesty of its traders is honored by the inscription that runs around the main contract hall.
- WHAT IS IT USED FOR NOW? Today it is used to host the James I awards ceremony among many other things. It´s a public building and can also be visited by tourists and locals alike.
- WHAT DID YOU LEARN ABOUT IT WHEN YOU WERE THERE?There are three clearly defined sections and a garden or “orange patio”. The Columnario or Sala de Contratación is divided into three longitudinal and five transversal naves with eight columns that support the domed ceiling. Its height of 17.40 meters gives the columns a special sense of size and proportion. The Taula de Canvis, set up in 1407, was located in this room by the municipal council and gained great prestige for its solvency and banking operations. The Taula or Table used for the transactions, as well as the first Bill of Exchange written in Spain are kept in the Valencia Municipal archive. The Torreón is the second section of the building while on the ground floor there is a small chapel dedicated to the Immaculate Conception. The two upper floors were used as a prison for those who reneged on their debts.
- HOW LONG DID YOU SPEND THERE? About 90 minutes
- HOW MUCH DID YOU HAVE TO PAY TO VISIT IT? I didn’t have to spend a penny . If you visit it on a Sunday, it´s free.
- WOULD YOU RECOMMEND VISITING IT? Of course. It´s worth a visit
WHY DON´T YOU WRITE A DESCRIPTION OF AN INTERESTING BUILDING IN YOUR TOWN OR COUNTRY TO BE PUBLISHED IN A TOURISM WEBSITE?
YOU CAN FOLLOW THE STEPS ON PAGE 81 OR THE ONES ON PAGE 119