B1 MONOLOGUES: IS IT A QUESTION OF MANNERS?
Read the title of the topic and the suggestions.
Choose one or more ideas to include in your monologue.
You can add ideas of your own. Talk about the topic for 3 to 3:30 minutes.
- Talking loudly on your phone in public places
- Texting when you´re having a meal in a restaurant
- Throwing rubbish in the street
- Drinking alcohol (binge drinking) in the street
- Noise pollution in towns and cities.
THIS WEEK WE HAVE BEEN TALKING ABOUT THE PROS & CONS OF “FREEGANISM” BUT HOW DO YOU WRITE A “FOR & AGAINST” ARTICLE FOR A MAGAZINE?
We can find both advantages and disadvantages …
On the one hand, there are many reasons why …
On the one hand, those who are in favour of (tend) to claim that …
On the one hand, those who believe that … say that …
People who prefer … say that …
There are several arguments in support of …
There are many advantages to + gerund
Some people argue that …
Those in favour of …
On the other hand, there are many reasons why …
On the other hand, those who are against (tend) to say that …
A major disadvantage is that …
On the other hand, those who believe that … say that …
On the other hand, the arguments against … are convincing
On the other hand, there are some/many disadvantages.
It is clear that there are both advantages and disadvantages to …
To sum up…
All in all…
Although there strong arguments in favour of/ against, I think that … It is obvious that …
On balance, I think that …
NOW, WE ARE READY TO START A COLLABORATIVE FOR & AGAINST ARTICLE: “SHOULD CHILDREN UNDER 13 OWN THEIR OWN MOBILE PHONE?”
- GO TO PADLET (BY CLICKING ON THE BROWNISH BOARD WALL BELOW)
- Click on the board, a box will pop-up, please add your name.
- Start typing your contribution. It should be an argument for or an argument against.
- You can add an image or a link to a video or sound clip to accompany your argument.
POST ONE ARGUMENT FOR OR ONE ARGUMENT AGAINST THE TOPIC ABOVE
DO THE EXERCISE ON FOR & AGAINST ARTICLES ON THE HANDOUT
HAVE YOU HEARD OF FLIPGRID? IT is A NEW WEBSITE AND MOBILE APP TO OPEN UP DEBATES AMONG STUDENTS. IT CAN BE USED TO FURTHER CLASSROOM CONVERSATIONS BY ASSIGNING QUESTIONS AS HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENTS
SO, LET´S HAVE A TRY!
- I POSTED A QUESTION ON VIDEO.
- CLICK ON THE PICTURE BELOW OR ON THE LINK TO WATCH MY VIDEO QUESTION
- CLICK ON THE GREEN PLUS BUTTON TO RECORD YOUR ARGUMENT FOR OR YOUR ARGUMENT AGAINST. (90 seconds long)
- YOU CAN ALSO WATCH WHAT OTHER STUDENTS RECORDED
I´LL BE WAITING FOR YOUR VIDEO RECORDINGS
LISTEN TO THIS POPULAR SONG
IT´S CALLED “I PROMISED MYSELF” WHAT KIND OF WORD IS “MYSELF”?, YEAH, YOU´RE RIGHT…. IT´S A REFLEXIVE PRONOUN
YOU CAN REVIEW THE MOST COMMON FUTURE FORMS IN YOUR BOOK (PAGE 138) BUT LET´S GO A STEP FURTHER AND NOW LET´S FOCUS ON TWO TENSES THAT MIGHT BE NEW FOR UPPER-INTERMEDIATE STUDENTS: FUTURE CONTINUOUS (or PROGRESSIVE) AND FUTURE PERFECT
TRY THIS EXERCISE
WHAT´S THE HIDDEN MESSAGE?
YOU CAN ALSO REVIEW THE MOST COMMON FUTURE FORMS IN YOUR BOOK (PAGE 138)
HAVE A CLOSE LOOK AT THIS PICTURE
WHAT DO YOU CALL THESE FOOD CONTAINERS?
REMEMBER TO DO THE RUBBISH & RECYCLING VOABULARY (on page 156) YOU CAN CHECK YOUR ANSWERS ON YOUR CD ROM
LET´S PLAY THE HANGMAN (THANKS TO THE ORIGINAL IDEA BY CRISTINA CABAL)
- Team A starts saying one letter. Whether they guess right or wrong, the turn goes now to Team B who will say another letter.
- To try to guess the hidden word, a member of the team will need to stand up and say. “We know!”. If they guess right, they score 1 point. If they don’t, the other team can say up to two letters before anybody tries to guess again.
- Note: they can only attempt to guess the word once half the letters have been guessed. For this, before each game, you will have to count the number of gaps. For example, if the word contains 8 letters, they can only guess when 4 letters have been filled.
“SHOCK reports in the global media about how plastic has been found in human poo – and every one of us eats it – have turned the tides for those who thought pollution was just a ‘fish problem’: at every meal, we munch our way through 100 pieces of microplastic, and these take 1,000 years to break down. So, if we don’t pass it, we’ll have to wait until the year 3018 for the plastic we ate in our last meal to vanish”. READ MORE
APART FROM WASTE, WHAT OTHER ENVIRONMENTAL PROBLEMS CAN YOU THINK OF?
HOW GREEN ARE YOU? WHAT DO YOU DO TO HELP THE PLANET? WHAT CAN BE DONE?
Winter sales in Spain usually run from the second week in January, after the Festival of the Kings. Sales happen in three stages: the first rebajas, then a bigger mark down for second rebajas, and finally final clearance sales.
COULD YOU SUBTITLE THIS YEAR´S PROMO IN ENGLISH?
|HAVE YOU EVER FOUND A REALLY GOOD BARGAIN ON THE JANUARY SALES?|
DO YOU REALLY THINK THEY ARE REALLY GOOD VALUE FOR MONEY?