ANOTHER SCHOOL YEAR HAS COME TO AN END. THIS POST IS TO THANK ALL MY 1B2 STUDENTS FOR THEIR EFFORT ALL YEAR ROUND WHETHER THEY HAVE PASSED OR NOT. IT´S BEEN A TOUGH YEAR FOR MOST OF YOU, I KNOW, I KNOW….. SOME OF YOU HAVE BEEN COMPLAINING ABOUT HOW “EXHAUSTING” AND “DEMANDING” I AM BUT I HOPE YOU THINK IT HAS BEEN WORTH THE EFFORT. I´M ALSO AWARE THAT AS A TEACHER YOU CAN´T BE EVERYONE´S “CUP OF TEA ” BUT I DO HOPE TO HAVE MADE THE RIGHT DECISIONS…THE IMPORTANT THING IS TO LEARN AND HAVE THE FEELING OF MAKING PROGRESS, NOT TO PASS EXAMS….THANK YOU FOR YOUR INVOLVEMENT AND COLLABORATION, ANYWAY…
IT WAS A PLEASURE TO TEACH YOU! HOPE YOU ENJOY YOUR SUMMER AND DON´T FORGET YOUR ENGLISH!! IN A FEW DAYS I WILL PUBLISH A POST WITH IDEAS ON HOW TO KEEP UP YOUR ENGLISH DURING THE SUMMER. WE´LL MEET AGAIN!
REVISION ( MAY FINAL EXAM ) // SPEAKING TEST
AS I TOLD YOU IN CLASS (ACCORDING TO THE SCHOOL WEBSITE), IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO SEE YOUR FINAL EXAM, YOU NEED TO COME ON WEDNESDAY 15th MAY TO OUR USUAL CLASSROOM. I WILL BE THERE FROM 10.30 TO 14.00. IT DOESN´T MATTER WHICH GROUP YOU BELONG TO…. YOU CAN TURN UP AT ANY TIME IT´S THE ONLY WAY TO TRY TO MEET YOUR NEEDS INDIVIDUALLY
IF BY ANY CHANCE YOU WERE NOT ABLE TO ATTEND, YOU CAN ALWAYS EMAIL ME. I NEVER PUBLISH MARKS ON SOCIAL NETWORKS / MY BLOG OR ANY SCHOOL WALLS TO RESPECT STUDENTS´PRIVACY
Free photo by Pixabay
AS THIS IS THE TIME OF THE YEAR WHEN YOU ARE ALL HEADING FOR YOUR “CERTIFICATE ” EXAMS, I THOUGHT THAT IT MIGHT BE USEFUL TO GET PRACTICE ON MONOLOGUES AND DIALOGUES. SOME WEBSITE PUBLISH OLD EXAMS SAMPLES. ALTHOUGH THE TASKS HAVE SLIGHTLY CHANGED, I DO THINK THEY ARE STILL USEFUL.
- Use the planning time to prepare both MONOLOGUE & DIALOGUE
- Write VERY SHORT notes in point form, NEVER full sentences
- Use short, simple sentences to express your ideas clearly.
- Don’t speak too quickly. This allows the listener to understand your ideas.
- Speak clearly and at the right volume.
- Look at the people who are listening to you.
- Write out full sentences, only KEY WORDS.
- LOOK AT YOUR NOTES all the time. REMEMBER you´re not allowed to read.
- It’s important to look up at your listeners when you are speaking.
HOW TO STRUCTURE A MONOLOGUE
- Introduce yourself very briefly ( name, age , job…)
- Explain what your presentation is about at the beginning:
Today … I’m going to talk about …
I’d like to talk about …
My topic today is …
- Use these expressions to order your ideas:
First of all, … (I´d like to start speaking about…)
The second point …..I´d like to talk about …// I´d like to make….
Secondly, … Next, … Then…..
Well, that´s all I have to say about this topic. Thank you for listening (to me)
Use these expressions to add more ideas from the same point of view:
In addition, …
What’s more, …
Added to this, …
To introduce the opposite point of view you can use these words and expressions:
On the other hand, …
Then again, …
Use these expressions to give your opinion
USEFUL LANGUAGE FOR DIALOGUES
LAST NIGHT THE ICONIC 78-YEAR-OLD SONGWRITER AND SINGER PERFORMED IN VALENCIA WITHOUT ADDRESSING THE AUDIENCE AT ANY TIME WITH HIS SPEAKING VOICE . HE USED TO INTRODUCE HIS BAND BUT HE PUT AN END TO IT IN 2017.
HE INFURIATED MANY LITERARY PURISTS WHEN HE WAS AWARDED THE PRESTIGIOUS NOBEL PRIZE FOR LITERATURE IN 2016 AND MADE AN EXCUSE FOR NOT ATTENDING THE AWARD CEREMONY.
DYLAN HAS HAD A “STRICT NO PHOTOS” RULE DURING HIS CONCERTS FOR YEARS: HOWEVER, MANY FANS STILL TRY TO SNAP A PIC OF HIM ON STAGE: “WE CAN EITHER PLAY OR POSE” HE STATES
WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT HIS STRICT NO-PHOTOS POLICY?
ALTHOUGH WE PRACTISED IN CLASS, YOU CAN USE THIS MATERIAL TO PRACTISE SPEAKING BEFORE YOUR TEST.
- THE MONOLOGUE IS BASED ON YOUR ACCURATE PICTURE DESCRIPTION
- THE INTERACTION (COLLABORATIVE TASK) WILL INVOLVE DISCUSSING A TOPIC
- Look at the instructions and check what you have to do.
- Talk to your partner, not to the examiner.
- Give your opinion and try to expand your ideas, give reasons, etc.
- Take an active part in the discussion, but listen and involve your partner too.
- Discuss all the options first and then make your final decision
- Remember you don’t have to agree with your partner!
MANY OF MY 2B1 STUDENTS HAVE BEEN ASKING ME ABOUT THE DATES FOR THE SPEAKING (CERTIFICATE EXAM MAY / JUNE 2019).THEY HAVE ALREADY BEEN PUBLISHED ON THE SCHOOL WEBSITE
DO YOU KNOW THIS MAN? HE´S THE MAN WHO / THAT FOUNDED APPLE COMPUTERS AND CREATED THE IPHONE….. BUT HOW MUCH DO YOU KNOW ABOUT HIM?
THIS IS WHAT YOU CAN READ IN THE NEWS TODAY….
Photo by THE LOCAL NEWSPAPER
MONOLOGUE : IDOLS / ICONS
The person you most admire ( artists, sportspeople, celebrities….), dead or alive. Why?
Do you read about famous people in glossy magazines or follow them on Instagram? What is your opinion about this phenomenon?
Describe someone you really respect.
What do you admire most about yourself?
If you could go back in time, who would you like to meet?
If you were famous and powerful, what would you do to make the world a better place?